11.24.2010

Chapter Thirty-Five


“Huh,” Parker said after a pregnant pause. “Awkward.”

Polly couldn’t agree more.

She had nearly leapt out of her chair when she heard a happy ‘woof’ outside the cabin door and upon flinging it open, finding her face full of a happily wagging Jack – followed closely behind by Chase, who bore an uneasy smile.

Polly had called over her shoulder for Parker, and he and Chase had just shared one of those bone crushing, air expelling man hugs that only truly manly men can make look studly instead of silly.

After that hug, Chase and Polly had looked at each other uncomfortably and then he had pulled her in for a hug lasting a nanosecond, hence Parker’s astute proclamation.

“How are you?” Chase asked, his voice husky and slightly embarrassed sounding.

“Oh, you know, fine,” Polly replied uneasily. “You?”

“Oh my god,” Parker said, throwing his hands in the air in mock exasperation. “You guys need me to do introductions or something?”

Parker’s irritation broke the tension in the room, at least temporarily, and Polly took the opportunity to bend down and snorfle Jack’s ears and give him lots of puppy kisses, which he happily accepted while Parker and Chase did the whole manly ‘You alright? Yeah? You?’ conversation, something that takes men thirteen seconds and women at least an hour and a half.

“Listen, we were just going to grill out,” Parker said easily to Chase. “Join us for dinner.”

Chase cut his eyes to Polly, who nodded and smiled shyly. “Please do,” she added by way of invitation.

“Sure, yeah,” Chase said. “That sounds great. Are we really trusting Parker with fire, though? Really?”

Polly laughed. “You trusted me with fire.”

“Only with adult supervision,” Chase said, and they genuinely smiled at each other for the first time, and Chase gave Polly a small wink, making her heart stutter for a beat.

Parker laughed and headed for the kitchen to take out the steaks they had bought earlier that day, while Chase and Polly stood rooted to the same spot.

“Hi.”

“Hi,” Polly echoed, before they both said at the same time “I’m sorry,” which made them both laugh uncomfortably. “You first,” she said softly.

“I’m sorry I was gone so long and I’m sorry I missed telling you goodbye. And I’m sorry I didn’t come by yesterday, but I figured and Park needed some catch up time,” Chase said in a rush.

“I’m sorry I left so abruptly, and I’m sorry I missed telling you goodbye too, but I had… I had to go,” Polly said slowly.

“I know. I know you did,” Chase said. “But Jack really missed you.”

“Oh, Jack did, did he?” Polly teased, and Chase thrust his hands in his pockets, avoiding her eyes. 
 
“So did I,” Chase said gently, still looking at the floor. “You got me hooked on the drug, but then I had to go through a cruel withdrawal.”


“Drug?” Polly asked in confusion.

“Pringles, man. I got the shakes and everything when you took them away…”

Polly laughed and batted his shoulder, even as Parker came bustling out of the kitchen with steaks and barbecue tools. “Make a hole! Steaks comin’ through!”

And with that, the tension seemed to be broken – at least for the moment.

**

Polly couldn’t seem to stop crying from laughter, and it was totally giving her indigestion from Parker’s superbly grilled feast.

Chase and Parker were both in rare form, cracking each other up with various SEAL stories, tales from high school the other had hoped to forget, and just generally being mercilessly teasing of the other – and Polly was loving every minute of it.

Not only did she have her twin home for a few days, but Chase kept giving her that sexy smile from across the dining room table and Jack was asleep on her left foot, snoring occasionally. 

She couldn’t think of anywhere else she would rather be at that moment.

Only Parker’s jaw crunching yawn a moment before had finally slowed him down, and Polly realized he must be exhausted with jet lag finally catching up to him. “Park, go to bed. You’re beyond tired,” she said, standing up to clear the table. “Chase and I can clean up – get some sleep.”

Parker yawned again and nodded reluctantly. “I know, I know, I just… it’s so nice to catch up with you guys. I don’t want to miss a minute. I don’t want to go to sleep.”

“Listen, Santa won’t visit if you don’t go to sleep…” Polly wheedled teasingly. “Isn’t that what Mom always told us? We’ll both be here in the morning, right?” Polly asked, turning to Chase for confirmation, and he nodded eagerly.

“Yeah, man. We’ll both be here,” he agreed.

After a series of ‘good nights’ and ‘great meals’, Parker finally shuffled off to bed, and Polly immediately began busying herself at the kitchen sink, her back to Chase. She worked furiously for a moment, and then her entire body tensed as Chase came and stood directly behind her, his hands resting on the sink, trapping her body inside the confines of his. She could feel the heat of his skin, though he was careful not to press his body against hers. “Hiya, kitten,” he said in her ear, making her jump slightly.

She put down the scrub pad she was holding and took a deep breath. “Hi.”

“Nervous?”

“Around you?” Polly breathed on a laugh. “Gee, no, never.”

“I just wanted to tell you, without you brushing me aside, that I really did miss you when you left. And that I’m glad you’re back, even just for a short time. And that I’m glad Parker’s safe. And that Jack missed you too. And that…”

“That…” Polly prompted.

“And that I’ve been thinking about that kiss since it happened.”

Polly sighed. “Happened, huh? You didn’t have anything to do with the administration of that kiss?”

“Totally beyond my powers to resist,” Chase said drily, and Polly grinned. 

“I… I’ve been thinking about it too,” Polly said. “Every time…”

“What?”

“Every time Matth… my husband would try to kiss me, I would shy away, because it never once, in all our years together, felt like that one kiss with you did. And if you ever repeat that to me or anyone else, I’ll deny it and then I’ll kick your ass. God, I’m so embarrassed…”

At that, Chase scooted forward several inches until he body was pressed against Polly’s, his arms coming up to curl around her collarbone from behind, his breath on the back of her neck, his jeans abrading her bare legs in her easy capri pants.

His voice was low and sexy as he murmured in her ear, “Don’t be embarrassed. And if I’m honest, I’ve kissed a few women in my time, but none, none of them have rocked me back like that one did. You’re special, Polly Royston, and you know, you know that kiss meant more than a reunion between old friends. You know it, and I know it. The question is, what do we do about it?”

Polly wanted to cry from the sincerity and tenderness in his tone. “I don’t know,” she whispered. “Do you realize what you are asking me to do – based on the power of an old crush, one kiss and a few days spent together in the woods?”

“Yeah, I do. But you and I both know it’s right.”

“I know,” Polly whispered. “But…”

“Listen, you have to work it out in your own mind. Just know that… I’m waiting here for you.”

And with that, he released her, and Polly had to clutch the countertop to keep from sinking to her knees.

40037/50000

No comments: