11.28.2010

Chapter Forty-Two


“So that’s it, huh?” Parker’s voice was a bit crackly across the international phone line as Polly pressed her cell phone to her ear, smiling contentedly as Chase steered the Jeep away from the airport parking garage and onto the highway with ease. 

“That’s it,” Polly said with a sigh of relief. “I knocked on the hotel room door, gave Matthew and his hooker a wide smile, and told him to expect divorce papers in the morning. He begged, he pleaded, and eventually, he told me he wouldn’t contest the divorce or the settlement, which was admirable, I suppose, since he started off as the more established lawyer and had more clout when we were building the business. Plus, he’s going to buy me out of the practice, so that should bring in a few pennies on top of the dividing of our household assets.”

“Yeah, but you earned half that money, fair and square, so he damn well should split it with you, but I agree, good for him for not being a bastard and fighting you for it,” Parker said. “I still can’t believe you actually caught him in the act with a call girl.”

“Yeah,” Polly said. “Not his finest hour.”

“What possible excuse did he give, because I’m sure he gave you an excuse,” Parker asked, wanting the dirt on his soon to be ex brother in law.

“That he was so sure we were going to live happily ever after, he thought he’d just had one more night of no strings sex to ‘get it out of his system’ so he could fully commit to our marriage,” Polly said. “And he said it so sincerely like he was sure I was going to buy the bullshit. I pretty much just laughed in his face. And the poor girl… she just looked so uncomfortable to be stuck in the middle of it. I hope he gave her a really good tip for the night.”

Parker laughed at Polly’s retelling, able to so clearly see the scene as it played out in the hallway of one of the swankiest hotels in LA. “So where are you now? What happens?”

“Well, Chase and I just flew home and landed back in Marquette...”

“First class, dude!” Chase enthused from the driver’s seat, and Parker laughed as his voice came across the phone line. 

“He was pretty stoked about first class,” Polly said wryly. “The boy doesn’t get out much.”

Man, thank you very much,” Chase retorted, and Parker groaned. “You need to feel my guns again?”

“Dude, I don’t need physical visuals of you two getting physical right now,” he said and it was Polly’s turn to groan.

“Parker, ish. Trust me, that’s off the table permanently if I can help it.” Polly replied. “Anyway, I’m closing the book on Matthew, on the practice, and on California. And if I may say, twin, you don’t sound in the least surprised.”

Parker laughed, and Polly rolled her eyes, awaiting his ultimate ‘I told you so’ moment. “From the moment I saw you and Chase together in that awkward-ass reunion when I was there, I knew you two were doomed to be together.”

“Doomed?”

“Destined? Is that more fairytale approved?”

“Shut up.”

“Anyway, between that obvious attraction, plus the fact you haven’t been happy with work or Matthew for like, years, and that every time I called, you were bitching about traffic or high grocery store prices or the latest housing development or how damn crowded everything was… I knew the bloom was off the rose, as it were, for California.”

“Well, aren’t you perceptive,” Polly said, deadpan and Parker laughed again.

“When it comes to you, sis, I am. I know you better than anyone, so of course I knew. I just had to wait for you to figure it out.”

“Huh.”

“Hey, at least I didn’t say I told you so,” Parker shot back and Polly grinned.

“That’s okay,” Polly said happily after a moment. “I’ve already figured out who you’re going to hook up with when you get home, and I’m going to match make the hell out of it. So there.”

“Wait, what? Who?” Parker’s voice was pleading all of a sudden. “Polly…” he said warningly, and she laughed.

“Just wait,” Polly said. “You’ll see. It’s a good thing.”

“Fine, fine,” Parker said. “Hey, let me talk to Chase for a sec. Take care of yourself, and I’m really happy for you, Pols, I swear. I really am. You already sound happier.”

“I really am,” Polly said. “Be careful, and talk to you soon. Here’s Chase,” she said, handing the small smart phone over to Chase, who let go of the steering wheel with one hand to take it.

“Hey, man,” Chase said conversationally.

“Between you and me, I’m stoked you guys have finally got it together, but if you hurt her, I’ll kill you. I’m trained as a sniper – you’ll never see it coming. Got me?” Parker said, his voice solemn and serious, and Chase grinned silently.

“Yeah, man, I got you, but you’re never going to have to worry about that, I swear,” he said, looking at Polly fondly as she gazed out the window at the millions of stars emerging overhead. “She’s my life now – no way around it.”

47136/50000

No comments: